NPS Tenets of Interpretation
Resources possess meanings and have relevance.
- Resources act as icons for meanings.
Visitors are seeking something special —something of value for themselves.
- Individuals find different value/meanings in the same resource.
Interpretation facilitates a connection between the interests of the visitor and the meanings of the resource.
- Primary objective is to provide access to meanings.
- Connections involve moments of intellectual and/or emotional revelation, perception, insight or discovery related to the meanings of the resource.
- Connections are the bridge between information and meanings.
Role of Interpretation in Preservation
- Audiences must care about a resource before they value the preservation of the resource.
- The primary goal of interpretation is not to preach preservation but to facilitate an attitude of care on the part of the audience.
- Preservation depends on audience access and personal connection to the meanings of the resource.
Last revised 17-Aug-13