Here are a few photographs from the collections of Patricia Dudley Goulart and Lexie Johnson Johnson (yes, our lighthouse girl married a Johnson).
Lexie died about four years ago and left her collection of photos to Karen Scanlon.
Karen has lots of pictures in this collection; especially meaningful are the ones right from the family scrapbooks of the Dudley and Johnson keepers. The picnic photo that’s enlarged and in the display case in the Assistant Keeper’s Quarters is one such photo.
This is just a sampling from that collection:
Point Loma Lighthouse, c. 1946 (photo credit) Lexie Johnson, daughter of keeper Milford Johnson A last remnant of World War II camouflage paint still covers the west dwelling and a few outbuildings of Point Loma Light Station. Note the extensive farming enclosure where horses Rosita and Sonny graze. Light keepers supplemented low Federal paychecks with food from animals, garden vegetables, and fruit trees.
The Picnic, 1936 (photo credit) Lexie Johnson Three Point Loma Lighthouse keepers and their families set aside lighthouse duties and dress up for lunch out. Note the light tower above. In his regulation cap, head keeper George Cobb sits with his wife, Theodora, and Louise and Milford Johnson. On the rough n’ ready bench are Lexie Johnson (front left) and Patty, Joan, Violet, and James Dudley. Lexie’s cousin Franklin sits near a china teapot–no plastic utensils at this picnic!
Keeper’s kids at 125th anniversary celebration of the change of lighthouse operation on Point Loma, March 23, 2016. (photo credit) Karen Scanlon Adult children of former Point Loma Lighthouse keeper James Dudley, Joan Dudley Eayrs (left) and Patricia Dudley Goulart, stand at the station’s life ring. The two are among nine other former keepers’ kids who attended the 125th anniversary celebration of the change of operation from Old Point Loma Lighthouse to the new, lower station, Point Loma Lighthouse. We have these girls to thank for so much of the World War II history of the lower light station.
Aerial Point Loma Light Station, c. 1946 (photo credit) Lexie Johnson Head keeper’s dwelling will be last to be repainted from its World War II camouflage “drab”. The station was meticulously kept by an officer-in-charge and two assistants, who proved to be jacks-of-all-trades. Personnel lowered shades at the lantern windows to protect the lens from sunlight. Flanking the tower are small beaches where residents once sunbathed and swam with sharks. Shown here is the submerged shelf below the tower at low tide. Mariner, beware!
Point Loma Light Station, 1893 (photo credit) National Archives The iron tower was originally a dark wine color. It stands on a concrete block 25 feet square and 14 feet deep, which evidently did not interfere with the integrity of the cliff. A picket fence borders the grounds–a visual reminder to all that the cliffs beyond drop to the sea.
Last revised 11-Jan-18 Like this: Like Loading...