VNC Minutes – 12 March 2016
The VNC met in the CNM lunchroom.
Attendees: Dan Wieder, Becky Wieder, Gail Geddis, Ken Glaze, David Boyer, Mark McFann, Mona Feliz, Mike Moser, Emily Floyd and Danielle Cardiff
Gail called the meeting to order at 10:03 a.m. Attendees introduced themselves. Danielle Cardiff is the new Centennial Ambassador for CNM.
The minutes from the 9 January 2016 meeting and the 13 February 2016 meeting were approved.
Whipstaff (Gail, Mike): The group will meet on March 16.
Volgistics (Gail): They are trying to establish a cutoff time for removing people from Volgistics (e.g., one year, or more, of inactivity).
Tidepool Committee (Bonnie; Dan, Becky, Pauline):
- Dan reported that the committee has not met since Bonnie’s return.
- Mona reported plans to clean the outside of the trailer and remove and replace decals (the ‘Enter at kiosk’ decal will not be replaced as it confuses people into thinking they should enter the trailer).
Website (Dan): No update since last month
E-Binder Reference Manual (Dan W., Dan Z., Beth, Becky, Setara): Dan W. reported that the committee is still working out a few details for the printed version.
Volunteer Orientation Guide or VOG (Becky, Setara): Becky passed around a hard copy of the VOG.
Military History (Ken Glaze): • Bunker visitation is going well. • Bookstore sales of Ken’s book, The Illustrated Fort Rosecrans, are also going well.
Volunteer Manager (Debbie Sherman): In Debbie’s absence, Emily reported:
- Emily will facilitate information between park groups.
- Emily will serve as secretary at all-employees meetings and notes will be posted on VIP Voice.
- There is now a dedicated volunteer space in the old library. Please send recommendations for the space to Debbie.
- Andrea is in Joshua Tree for a few weeks.
- Emily suggested that a committee be formed to help find and schedule speakers/topics for Continuing Education programs (both in the evening and during the day on weekends).
- Becky reported that a grant was written by the park’s Living History division in response to a call for VIP special projects proposals. Pacific West Region advertised an opportunity to request up to $5,000 to support park-based volunteer centennial efforts in FY16. The grant proposal asked for funds to create a Park in a Trunk program that would allow volunteers to visit 4th grade classrooms and immerse the students in 16th century life.
Internships (Tavio, Keith): No report
VIP Voice/Blog (Dan Z): Dan W. reported that the wildflower exhibit schedule did not get to either Dan Z. or Dan W. for posting on the VIP Voice or park website. Emily said she will send the information to them.
CNMC (Randal): Mona reported:
- CNMC’s first moonwalk event is coming up soon.
- Mona attended the APPL Conference March 6-10. The organization is now called Public Lands Alliance. It endeavors to strengthen, represent and coordinate public lands groups and to become the singular voice for the groups.
- The group hosted a reception on March 11 for the Luso-American Education Foundation Conference. The reception served to strengthen community ties to the Portuguese community, United Portuguese S.E.S. (consulate) and San Diego State University.
- On April 23, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. To 10:00 p.m., CNMF will host Cabrillo Hops Over the Vine. The event, designed to raise community awareness for CNM, will feature specialty menu items and gourmet bits from San Diego’s favorite eateries and tasting of boutique craft beer, wine and spirits*. Nonalcoholic beverages will be available. Tickets are $60 per person for members and $75 per person for non-members.
- CNMF is trying to get its members to volunteer at the park. Board member Josh Weinman took the Interpretive Host Training and did a VIP At-Large shift last month.
- Executive Director Gerrie Trussell has been applying for economic development grants as well as a grant to pay for buses to bring 4th graders to the park.
5-Year Plan: Becky reported that Debbie now has the latest version of the VIP 5-Year Plan. Gail reported that Debbie also has a copy of the VNC Charter.
- *Emily reported that the Cabrillo Hops Over the Vine event will be the last one where alcohol will be permitted for a while. Future events must have regional permission, appropriate paperwork and a minimum advance notice. While the details are being worked out, no more such events will be scheduled.
- National Park Week is April 18-26. The park will be fee-free all week, so lots of volunteers are needed.
- Three lighthouse events are scheduled for March 21, 22 and 23. See the VIP Voice blog for details.
Next Meeting: April 9, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in the CNM lunchroom
Adjournment: 10:55 a.m.